In honor of a man who impacted the culture of an entire nation, my 5 favorite Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes:
- A nation or civilization that continues to produce soft-minded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan.
- Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.
- I have also decided to stick with love, for I know that love is ultimately the only answer to mankind’s problems. And I’m going to talk about it everywhere I go.
- Reason, devoid of purifying power of faith, can never free itself from distortions and rationalizations.
A friend of mine always says “SEO is a very deep rabbit hole.” I find that to be more and more true the more I learn about Search Engine Optimization and the millions of ways you can spend your time trying to optimize you or your clients sites. My team and I have recently started looking into writing guest blog posts and what all that entails.
Guest Blog Posting Background
Guest blog posting was inspired by how hard it is to blog regularly. (Look at the consistency, or should I say inconsistency of how much I blog here). Bloggers are always looking for more content and more ways to spin that content as something new and interesting to their readers. Featuring a guest blogger solves both problems:
- more content: the main blog writer gets a day off from writing
- something new and interesting: the blog gets fresh, interesting content from a new perspective
Usually as a thank you to the guest poster, the guest is allowed to include a sign off reference to their own blog or website, link and all.
Our Journey to Guest Posting Oz
We don’t necessarily need the content but we could definitely use more exposure to readers of other blogs and the gratuitous links pointing back at our site. So our journey is to become guest blog posters. I quickly realized that the hardest part about guest blog posting was finding blogs to post to, then upon finding them, figuring out how to contact the author. As each blog became it’s own research project, I started to think the Guest Post idea was not worth the time involved.
Then I heard an interview on WebmasterRadio.fm with Ann Smarty about her site: MyBlogGuest.com guest blog posting community – an open forum for bloggers to connect and share content ideas and unique/original posts with each other.
Regular bloggers go there to post guest authoring opportunities when they need a break from writing, and writers go there to earn valuable content placement in front of high-readership blog audiences. What a great free place to connect with other bloggers – thanks Ann!
He got 4.8 million views on a video (see above) of his son crying because he wanted to jam out to Single Ladies by Beyonce.
Then he got boat-loads of people to vote for that video, garnering a spot in the list of People’s Choice Awards Winners for Favorite Viral Video Star.
Now if that’s not a great combination of timing, SEO, social marketing, and cute-crying-kid-anomolyism, I don’t know what is. Well done Carlos Whittaker.